To enhance quality of life in Wood Buffalo by ensuring every KID can afford to have fun.
To provide financial assistance to support Wood Buffalo youth and families that face barriers to participation in sport, recreation, social and cultural programs and activities.
About Mi KIDS
The Mi KIDS program aspires to provide barrier-free participation to sport, recreation, social and cultural programs and activities in the Wood Buffalo region.
Parents, teachers, coaches and community members can nominate youth to receive program, activity and/or equipment funding. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Development program, sport and/or class registration fees
- Facility memberships to amenities based throughout the communities of the region, including the Suncor Community Leisure Centre, Miskanaw Golf Club, Anzac Recreation Centre presented by Nexen Energy, the Fort McMurray Oil Sands Curling Club, Noralta Skating Club and Syncrude Sport and Wellness Centre and YMCA of Wood Buffalo, in addition to other facilities
- Sporting and/or activity equipment
- Any need approved by the Mi KIDS committee that is deemed in the interest of KIDS having fun
How to Apply
Please print and fill out a Mi KIDS Program application form or complete the online form below. Application forms can also be obtained upon request in person at Suncor Community Leisure Centre Guest Services. Funding availability is based on volume of applications.
All application forms require:
- Endorser information: Name, phone number, e-mail address and relationship to nominee; supporting paragraph
- Nominee information: Name, age, mailing address, parent/guardian name(s) and occupation(s), specific request for funding and need for said funding. Third party nominations are encouraged. Please include any letters or supporting documentation.
- Applications can also be submitted in person at Suncor Community Leisure Centre Guest Services to the attention of Mi Kids Committee: Director of Applications
- Provide confidential and timely assistance to youth and families
- Maximize accessibility to program assistance across the region
- Ensure the financial sustainability of the Mi KIDS program via fundraising efforts and accountability
- Recruit and retain partners that share a similar vision
Budget and Fundraising
The annual budget is $25,000 prior to the addition of funds raised from the following avenues:
- Five percent (5%) of all eligible Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo facility partnerships
- All net proceeds from the sale of the Mi KIDS merchandise
- Individual, corporate and organizational donations